Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Best Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits


Growing up, I used to make baking powder biscuits with my mom for Sunday dinners. I used to love rolling them out with a floury rolling pin and sneakily eating the dough scraps. When I found out I couldn't eat them anymore, I was a really big brat about it. We're talking full-on pouting. One day I found the Biscuit Mix from 123 Gluten Free at the Shirlyn's Natural Foods Store in Sandy. When I tasted them it was like being a kid in my mom's kitchen again. It has the exact same taste as those homemade biscuits you remember from the good old days of eating wheat. The dough is a tad sticky, but I use a little extra Grandpa's Kitchen flour to flour the ball of dough and the rolling pin to keep it workable. You could also use cornstarch, potato starch, tapioca flour or white rice flour if you wanted to. Sometimes I would reserve a few tablespoons of the mix to flour the board and rolling pin. Use whatever you have that you feel comfortable with. There are pretty clear instructions on the box, but here is what I have learned when baking these biscuits: a)Cut them a little thicker. Nobody likes skimpy biscuits. Roll the dough out to 1/2 inch and cut with a glass for a nice round biscuit. b) You can use milk instead of half and half and heavy cream. I used 2/3 cup of buttermilk and 1 cup 2% milk. c) Never skip brushing the biscuits with milk on top and sprinkling with sugar. It just makes the biscuit so yummy and gives it a little oomph on the top. d) I put mine in the freezer and use them for quick dinner fillers. They go great with soups, roasts, gravy, homemade raspberry jam, and Boeuf Bourguignonne.



Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers