Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Monday, August 3, 2009

Funeral Potatoes



Remember the good old days when you could just grab a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup and whip up dinner on the spot? Remember how sad you were when you found out you couldn't eat it anymore? Get ready to be amazed. I am now going to teach everyone how to use...instant soup. I know, it's not so gourmet. However, you will be thanking me when you find out how I am going to save your casseroles tonight with my culinary expertise. So here we go:


Gluten-Free Funeral Potatoes


1 24 ounce bag of frozen shredded hash browns

8 ounces sour cream

2 cups shredded cheddar or colby jack

2 T minced onion (I use the dried kind)

4 packets Lipton Cup-a-Soup Cream of Chicken Flavor

1 1/2 cups water

2 cups Corn Chex cereal (use the ones with the gluten-free label, just to be safe)

4 T melted butter


Take shredded potatoes out of the freezer and let thaw on the counter for a few minutes while you mix your other ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, mix together sour cream, cheese, and onion. In a smaller mixing bowl, add contents of soup packets with water. Whisk together until well blended. Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes, until thick. Add to sour cream mixture. Fold in thawed frozen potatoes. Spread into a greased 9x12 pan. For crunchy topping, place Chex cereal in a ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin, or for you technical types you could use a food processor. Toss with melted butter to coat. Spread on top of potato mixture. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour.


I like to use the frozen potatoes because I feel they hold up a little better than regular cooked, grated potatoes, which seem to turn mushy with this recipe. And, they are about 50 times easier to use! This soup has a lot of flavor to it. You won't need to add any extra salt. And it also has little parsley flakes in it which makes the potatoes look so yummy. Sometimes I leave the cereal topping off and serve it as a potato au gratin dish. Happy eating!



4 comments:

  1. I am stoked about finding your blog! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I don't know, but that would be a good thing to find out! I have used this product several times and haven't ever had a problem, but we all know that doesn't mean much these days. I will try to find out the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing that I've found about allergy warning labels is that if it says it's processed in a FACILITY that processes wheat, it's okay to eat. At least, I don't have problems with it. BUT if it's processed on the same EQUIPMENT as wheat then it's not safe to eat.

    I am SO excited to try out this recipe for Christmas Lunch with my family. Funeral potatoes are one of my favorite holiday foods,so I'm excited to find a recipe that I can use! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers