Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Monday, August 17, 2009

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies


My mother in law has a really great sugar cookie recipe that has been handed down in her family since the days people could buy flour, I think. It is so simple and the proportions are just right for making a tender sugar cookie. I have been sad that I couldn't eat these for years, especially since we always make them at Christmastime and birthdays. But since I found my new best friend, Grandpa's Kitchen Baking Flour, I figured I'd give them a try and see how they turned out. The results are in....total bliss. These cookies taste like a little piece of childhood smothered in frosting. The dough is not too sweet so it doesn't compete with the frosting. And if you roll it thick enough you can make it just like those huge pink cookies you get in the vending machine. (Just bake for an extra minute or two.)


Sugar Cookies

2 1/4 cup Grandpa's Kitchen Baking Flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shortening or oil or butter (I recommend butter, shortening makes the cookies crispy)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp milk

Mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. In a stand mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Add milk. Chill for two hours. (I almost exclusively always skip this step, and it turns out fine.) Roll and cut. Bake at 375 for 8-9 minutes. (I always bake at 8 minutes because I want the cookies to be soft, not hard.) Let cool on baking sheet until almost completely cooled. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Frost with your favorite frosting.

Homemade Frosting

4 cups powdered sugar
1 T milk
4 T soft butter
1 tsp vanilla
Blend all ingredients together, starting with just two cups of sugar to get the base mixed, and then adding the rest of the sugar until desired thickness. May add more powdered sugar based on personal preference. Color with your favorite food coloring.
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers