Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

It's a little cold and cloudy today, surprising for August, but I'll take it. It's nice to have a break from the heat. I don't know about you, but whenever it cools off I am always looking for ways to use my oven. When my kids asked me to make them macaroni and cheese, I knew that today not only would my oven get to be used, but I would also be full! I also wanted to make sure everyone knew about Tinkyada pasta. This is by far the best gluten-free pasta there is. It cooks up al dente and holds up well, even if you are baking it in a sauce. And, you can get it at most Health Food stores and Harmon's grocery stores in their Natural Foods section. This is such a satisfying meal. I love it. Perfect for lunch on a cold day. It's also a great way to use up those tomatoes you get out of your garden that have imperfections.This recipe comes from Sara Snow, from the Discovery Channel. I just love her and all her organic tips. It makes me wish I had expensive cable again.

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
adapted as gluten free by Margo Andersen

1 1/2 cups macaroni (I used 2 cups of Tinkyada Brown Rice Elbow Macaroni, the brown rice pasta doesn't make as much as regular pasta)
3 T butter
3 T cornstarch
2 C milk
1/2 t salt
dash pepper
1-2 T minced onion
2 C grated cheddar cheese
2-4 tomatoes—sliced
1 C parmesan cheese

Prepare pasta according to package directions. In another pan, melt butter and add cornstarch to make a roux.











Add milk and cook until thick. Add salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir to melt.
Place drained pasta in a greased baking dish. Pour sauce over the top.















Top with sliced tomatoes.
















Top with last 1/2 cup cheese and parmesan cheese. (Parmesan makes a nice brown crust in place of bread crumbs for any meal.)












Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes total. Cover with a lid or foil for the first 15-20 minutes and take lid off for last 20 minutes to make nice and brown.










Happy eating!











1 comment:

  1. I have no idea why this post has so much space in between the lines...sorry!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers