Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Let's Talk About Chex


When I was first diagnosed with Celiac's disease six years ago, I made a mental inventory of what I had in my pantry at the time. I thought I'd be safe if I got hungry, I'd just have a bowl of Rice Chex or Corn Chex. Imagine my surprise when I got home and (luckily) checked the ingredient list on the boxes. Sadly, they contained barley malt. Barley malt! There are so many cereals that you think as you read down the side of the box, "Safe, safe, safe, maybe I can eat this one...barley malt. Dangit." It is the ruiner of so many easy meals.

So I was so pleased to see a few months ago that Chex had gone gluten free with a few of their cereals and even added some new flavors. It only took them six years! Well, other people have probably been waiting longer than me, but still. Six years of passing the boxes in the cereal aisle, thinking, "If they wanted to get a lot more business, they would find a tasty substitute for that barley malt." Well, obviously someone in marketing at Chex got wind of us gluten free people and got with it. Be sure to check for gluten free packaging. I have still seen a few boxes out there that are the old formula, so be safe and look for the huge gluten free words on the front of the box.
Here are the new flavors and new packaging. And by the way,it's about time someone got the bright idea to make Chocolate Chex. Half the world is women, people! Anything you have covered in chocolate will sell. They have a great list of recipes that I can't wait to try. Check them out here. The gluten free Crunchy Fudge Coookies and the Triple Berry Mini Cheesecakes look promising. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy my bowl of gluten free Corn Chex for breakfast. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers