Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Friday, September 25, 2009

Gluten Free Chocolate Covered Pretzels...A Real Mouthful

I haven't posted much this week because I had been preparing for my first-ever gluten free cooking class that was held last night. We had such great food (if I do say so myself) and it was all laid out like a smorgasbord of wheatlessness. Truly, I felt like I was at my own personal Chuck-A-Rama. Everyone liked the food, and the consensus from the participants was that the Sugar Cookies were the star of the evening. Several women took some home to their husbands who gave a "yes" vote to the little bundles of food joy.

I did do something special for that class that I hadn't ever done before. And now that I know it's so easy, I can't believe I've never done it before. The hardest thing about making these is finding the time to simply stand there and do it. And the finished product turned out to be divine. Here's what you need to get started:



Glutino gluten free pretzel twists
1 package of your favorite chocolate chips ( I used semisweet and white chocolate by Guittard)
2 T shortening
A fork
A ziploc bag

Put the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for two minutes. Stir the chocolate until all the lumps are gone. Heat for 30 more seconds, if necessary. Add shortening and mix well. Plop in some of your pretzels. Using a fork, pull the pretzels out and tap fork against the bowl to remove some of the excess chocolate. Lay on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Microwave the white chocolate chips and repeat mixing. Put some melted white chocolate into a ziploc bag and snip off the tip. Try to keep the snip small. Drizzle white chocolate over the pretzels. Cool in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes until chocolate hardens.

I also did this with white chocolate and drizzled them with the semisweet chocolate, so there were two different versions. You will have plenty of chocolate to do about fifty of each one. If you like your chocolate dipped items a little more salty, simply hold the pretzel and dip half of it into the chocolate and lay it on the sheet. This is also the less messy way to do it. These look gourmet and taste really good, so you are sure to impress your guests with your chocolatiering.
Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. What is the point of adding shortening instead of leaving it out?

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers