Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Gluten Free Hamburger Buns

Gluten free hamburger bun recipes are about as plentiful as used cars these days. It seems everyone has their own version that works well and does the job without fanfare. Such is the plight of the gluten free eater. We are just holding on to a thread of hope that we will find an approximation of a baked good that we can use in our traditional meals that reminds us of the good old days. I've decided that being content with something is better than nothing. I was looking for something, anything that resembled a hamburger bun for my sloppy joe recipe. Looking through my pantry I found a package of the Blue Chip Baker Group's French Bread mix. I thought I'd give it a try and see what I came up with.
First of all, this mix is so simple to use. You only add vinegar, yeast, warm water, and a little oil to it and beat it in your mixer for two minutes. Let it rise for 45 minutes and bake for 30. Pretty straightforward and uncomplicated, if you ask me. So I mixed up some dough and, using a large spoon, scooped out some balls of dough and smoothed them out with the back of the spoon. After rising and right before baking, I brushed them with a little melted butter and added sesame seeds to the top for that traditional hamburger bun crunch. They turned out pretty good! I got six buns out of one loaf recipe, however I suggest using them up pretty quickly. Fresh out of the oven is definitely better. These get crumbly and dry after a couple of days, even in a ziploc bag. But they worked for my recipe and the added benefit is I don't feel so left out of the world of sloppy joes and hamburgers. If I really feel like I need a hamburger bun, these aren't too difficult to make and give a fair representation of a good old roll. I'd also like to try buns with the Grandpa's Kitchen Bread Mix, since that one is so yummy, too. I'll let you know how those turn out!
Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. Those look great! My buns usually come out not as fluffy looking. :(

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers