Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Monday, October 12, 2009

Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie

Now that it feels a little crisper in the air and I'm starting to hear the rattle of dry leaves scraping along the ground, I start to pull out all the comfort food recipes. When I was a little kid being raised by my single mother, sometimes we would just pull out those little frozen Swanson pot pies on a cold evening, pop them in the oven and serve them over rice. The good old days of eating gluten-filled convenience dinners are over for me, but I still long for those pot pies sometimes. Usually a chicken pot pie is made with pastry dough, but I thought I'd try something a little different and use the Gluten Free Pantry's Quick Mix, which is basically like gluten free Bisquick.
So then I couldn't decide if it was a pot pie or chicken and dumplings, but I think that's soup. Anyway, you get the idea. It's a yummy chicken/veggie mixture covered with sauce and topped with biscuity dough. And I experimented with my Better Than Boullion broth and made it double strength by adding twice as much base as water. It tasted super flavorful before it was cooked, but then once it was cooked and the biscuits soaked up some of the flavor, it was just right. You could also do that by taking a can of chicken broth and adding two chicken boullion cubes to it. Enough talk. Let's get to full stomachs.
Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie

1. In a saucepan, place 2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken tenders, 1 peeled and diced carrot, 2 peeled and diced potatoes, and 1/2 cup frozen green peas and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until veggies are tender and chicken is done. You can also use canned chicken, which always makes me feel like I am thumbing my nose at those snobby foodie types. Of which I may be one, but I still have to get dinner on the table on time every night.
2. In another saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter and add 1/2 onion, minced finely, and 1 stalk celery, if desired. (I never desire celery, but if you love it, go for it.) Cook until these are soft, then add 2 heaping tablespoons of cornstarch and mix well. Add 1 3/4 cups extra chickeny chicken stock, 2/3 cups of milk, one teaspoon of parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer this mixture until thick.3. In a large bowl mix two cups Gluten Free Pantry Quick Mix with one cup milk or buttermilk. (I used buttermilk...so worth the trip to the store.)4. Drain the veggies and chicken. Roughly cube the cooked chicken. Place in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken/veggie mixture. Top the casserole with large dollops of biscuit mix. Make them about the size of a regular biscuit so you can see where to make the serving size.

5. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
This was a great, hearty, homey dinner. It's been a long time since I had a chicken pot pie and my husband even liked it. The biscuits are kind of sweet, which is a nice contrast to the salty chicken sauce. To be honest, I ate seconds and was way too full afterwards. In my opinion, your level of fullness directly coordinates with your dish's tastiness. Mission accomplished.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! I love chicken pot pie. I've been trying to come up with a new gf chicken pot pie recipe based on a regular pie recipe with a pour over crust. Ideas are still percolating in my head. Glad to find your blog through Brian's (Fire and Salt)! :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers