Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Monday, January 18, 2010

Tree Street Grains Gluten Free Pancake Mix

Some of you may be wondering where I have been the last few days. Not that I want to bore you with my life's details, but I have been with my daughter after she was hospitalized with complications from the RSV virus. Nothing life threatening or even life changing, just life. But I am glad she is home now and very glad to be back in my own bed with clean clothes and a hot shower. Not to mention the gluten free food available at every turn in my home, which was sadly unavailable at the hospital cafeteria. It made me remember how frustrating it can be to try to eat as a celiac person sometimes. I was very grateful my husband brought me some Zone Perfect Fudge Graham bars to tide me over when every entree was either crusted with flour or a slice of Papa John's pizza. Here she is, cute and healthy as can be, in front of the world's dirtiest refrigerator. However, just because last week was spent not writing about food doesn't mean I don't have anything great to report to you. By a lucky accident, I have stumbled across a new gluten free pancake mix that is not only safe for celiac's but healthy as well. Saturday as I was making my weekly shopping trip to my local Harmon's store, I saw a cute man handing out samples of his whole-grain pancakes. "Hmm," I thought to myself. "I remember what it was like to be able to just sample any food I saw being handed out in the store." Sadly, those days are long gone. But happily, out of the corner of my eye I noticed that there were bags of mix that said "Gluten Free" on them. I, being me, raced over and grabbed a bag. The cute man happened to be David Cobia, the owner and originator of Tree Street Grains, a local Utah company that creates both gluten free and regular pancake mixes.

David told me about all nine of the grains he uses in his gluten free mix, including corn, millet, rice, sorghum, teff, amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa, wild rice, and flax. He mills them a little coarsely so the pancakes turn out having a great whole grain texture and crunch. I made some of these yesterday and they were so delicious I wanted to tell y'all about them as soon as possible. David also showed me the aluminum bag he sells the mix in, which keeps the flax as fresh as possible for as long as possible. You can store it in the refrigerator for even longer shelf life. Here's the kicker: he told me he will even make up special batches for people who want certain ingredients removed, like salt or one of the grains if they are allergic to them. How's that for going the extra mile? For those of you who are lucky enough to live in Utah, Tree Street Grains Gluten Free Pancake Mix is available at all Harmon's stores. If you live outside of utah or just like to shop online, you can order some by emailing David directly at treestreetgrains@gmail.com. Support a local Utah business and buy some today! Even if you live in New Hampshire!
Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. I met him last Saturday, and he had a small batch of GF pancake samples on hand, hiding under the counter. He easily convinced me, but the real test was when I dished them out to the rest of the household. We've fallen so head over heals for these pancakes that today (5 days later) I *had* to make a special trip to Harmons for a second bag.

    My 7-year-old had developed a special bond with eating the leftover pancakes PB&J style.

    Love, I tell you... LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try your product. Do you mail out free samples for those of us who are new to the product?

    amyableamy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers