Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gluten Free Ham and Chicken Divan

When I was a kid I remember two things about my mom: 1) she was always reading, and 2)she always let me choose what was for dinner. My mom is about the most avid book reader I think I've ever met. She is always reading something. As a former English teacher and librarian, I think it's sort of hardwired into her. She used to read the "Spenser" novels by Robert B. Parker, and one night she told me that she had read about Spenser making a ham and chicken divan that sounded really easy, so she was going to try it. It was one of my favorite things she ever made, rich and creamy with broccoli to boot.

The other night when I was searching the fridge for something to make for dinner, luckily I remembered Spenser and his divan when I unearthed broccoli, leftover ham, some cheese, and one of these:
It's my new favorite ingredient. I do a lot of cooking with sour cream and sometimes I feel guilty using it because it's a little fattening. But plain Greek yogurt has twice the protein of regular yogurt and tastes like sour cream when used in recipes, so it seems like I may have a new best friend in the fridge. Here's how I made my version of a childhood favorite:
Gluten free Ham and Chicken Divan
2 crowns of broccoli, cut into florets
1 can of white meat chicken
about 4 ounces of diced ham (could also use deli sliced ham)
2 packets of Lipton Creamy Chicken Soup
3/4 cup water
1 6 oz. package of plain Greek yogurt
1 cup cheddar or colby jack cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer the broccoli florets in the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer ham and chicken over the broccoli. Place the two packets of soup into a medium bowl and whisk with the water. Microwave for two minutes, stir. Add yogurt, cheese, mustard, and onion. Mix well and pour over the chicken and ham. Sprinkle the top with paprika and bake for 30 minutes. Serve over rice.
Thank you Spenser and Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers