Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Friday, March 19, 2010

A Simple Salad with Gluten Free Vinaigrette


Ina, oh, Ina! Why aren't we best friends? Or at least next-door neighbors? Every time I watch anything with Ina Garten I want to sit in that fabulous kitchen and have her make me some beautiful, simple meal that is classic, delicious, and flavorful. I guess that's why she has a show and I don't.
Anyway, Ina is always making very simple salads and giving them delicious homemade dressings, which I happen to think is a great skill for a celiac eater. You can figure out which bottled dressings are gluten free, but sometimes it's easier and safer to make your own. This vinaigrette is no exception. It's so simple I don't even think any of you will think I'm serious when I tell you what's in it.
The other day I was really hankering for a good set of flavors for my salad, so I settled on good old Romaine lettuce (nice and crunchy), mushrooms (nice and meaty), and shaved Gruyere cheese (nice and tangy). I tossed them all together and drizzled Ina's lemon vinaigrette over the top. My mouth could not stop eating.
Lemon Vinaigrette from Ina Garten
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Zest the lemon and juice into a small bowl. Add salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil while pouring it in a very small stream to emulsify with the other ingredients. Pour over washed, dried lettuce so the vinaigrette will stick to the lettuce.
That's it! So basic, so easy, so Ina. Classic ingredients never go out of style. What's your favorite homemade salad dressing? Leave a link in the comments section so we can all share!
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers