Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gluten Free Chicken and Fettucini Alfredo



I'm always on the lookout for healthy and fast dinners that my family will actually eat. While this recipe may be questionable on the healthy side, it's definitely delicious. The fact that you can make it gluten free by simply switching to Tinkyada Brown Rice Noodles is even better. I originally made this with their spaghetti noodles, but have since discovered that I like the fettucini ones even better. You want a nice wide noodle to hold onto the sauce. You could also use shrimp instead of chicken, if that tickles your fancy.
First, I started off with my grill pan heated to medium-high heat, since it's spring in Utah and you never know what day you can actually use the barbeque grill outside. I rubbed my chicken breasts with a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and grilled them for about 6 minutes per side, or until there's no pink in the middle.


Then there's the Alfredo sauce:

1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus more for garnishing
1 clove minced garlic
pinch salt
pinch pepper
1/4 tsp parsley


Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, add the milk and garlic and heat until just below a simmer. Add salt and pepper and toss with the cooked pasta. Add cheese and toss together. Garnish with extra parmesan and parsley.

Technically there's no garlic in Alfredo sauce, but I couldn't resist. It just tastes so good with a little something extra in there. Then I chopped up the chicken into bite sized chunks and mixed it all together. It was great. My one kid voted to add peas next time but the others liked it as is. I felt like I had just aced my 10th grade foods class with this one: protein, dairy, grains, and flavor. So I'm going to put this out there and see the responses we get back: Do you make your own Alfredo sauce or do you buy it in a jar? If so, which jar? No judging here, if you buy it, that's great, too! I'm fishing to see what brands are gluten free out there that people like.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. We make it from scratch if we are having something like what you have posted. But sometimes for a quick meal we will get Barilla's Alfredo sauce and add steamed shrimp.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers