Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Friday, April 23, 2010

Gluten Free Chicken Soup... for those days when you're less than healthy


This week I have been sick with strep throat, which is only weird because I'm a grown up and you're supposed to outgrow it, but since I got my tonsils out 10 years ago I hadn't had it once until November, and since then I've had it three times! Whatever. Stupid body. Nonetheless I've had my fair share of sick days this year, and the rumors are true: Chicken soup really DOES help your body feel better when you're sick.
My chicken soup is so simple and easy. I've made it before with Tinkyada noodles, which I love, but for some reason I really savor the soup more when I make it with potatoes as the starchy ingredient instead of noodles. And, when you don't feel good but you're still the woman of the house, it's nice to have an easy recipe that you can just dump in a pot and have something delicious and comforting to get you through the day. Here it is, in all it's canned glory:
Gluten Free Chicken Soup
2 14.5 oz cans Swanson Chicken broth
1 can drained cooked, canned chicken
1/2 onion, minced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 potato, peeled and diced small
1 pinch of salt (optional)
1 pinch of pepper
1/4 cup frozen peas
Combine all ingredients in a large soup pot except peas. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, with lid on pot, for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas, remove from heat, and stir until peas are defrosted. Makes 4 1 cup servings.
My 11 year old is quite the chicken soup connoisseur, and she ate the whole bowl I gave her as a taste test. The potatoes make the soup feel hearty and filling, while the broth really makes you feel like Mom's there taking care of you. Even when you have to do your own dishes.
Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! It's raining today & I think I have all the ingredients! My 11 yr. old loves chicken soup too!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers