Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Friday, May 28, 2010

Fish on Fridays: Spicy Salmon on the Grill







As I've said before, one of the things I rarely cook is fish. I hate smelling fish in my house after I cook it, and I hate touching it. But I have decided to branch out with my menus and I've actually discovered some tricks that I think will help you other fish-haters out there. The first thing I've learned is that fish is actually really easy to cook, and now that it's semi-good weather in Utah, I can also grill it and not have to deal with the house smelling like salmon for two days. Bonus. I also like to buy my fish frozen, like I did here, because it really does eliminate a lot of the smell factor when preparing it.
So, at WalMart the other day I discovered that they have salmon filets for $4.95 and you get 4 frozen pieces. Score! I put two of them into a bowl of lukewarm water and when they were soft and thawed I put them on a plate and just drizzled extra virgin olive oil over them and sprinkled some of the McCormick Grill Mates Salmon spice blend on both sides. So easy! And I love that McCormick is so gluten free. Almost every spice they have is gluten free and that makes them stars in my book. Then I grilled the filets on the grill for about 5 minutes per side, until they flaked easily with a fork. That is the whole deal with fish and doneness, I've learned: look for the flaking. I served them up to my husband as a big old surprise for dinner, not only that we were eating fish but that it wasn't burnt to a crisp off the grill. (I have issues.)

Anyway, hope this gets the ball rolling for all of you non-fish eaters out there, and if you are a big fish eater and you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share with the rest of us rookies, please leave a comment...maybe you'll be the next one on Fish on Fridays!
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers