Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gluten Free Lemon Bars: Ina Rules



To be honest, I've never ever made Lemon Bars before. I don't think I've ever even eaten one. But somehow one day I got it in my head that a Lemon Bar would be just the thing to eat for dessert in the summer. They're probably good in the winter, too, but this summer I was dying to try these. I had no idea that they were so dang easy and I also had no idea they were so dang delicious. Naturally I turned to the internet and my bible for some recipes to try. I tried a couple before I settled on one that's my new favorite: a simple recipe from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten. I have no idea what the copyright issues are for reproducing a recipe on the internet, so I'll give you the link and you can look it up on your own and then all the lawyers will be happy. The only substitution I made in this easy recipe was to use Grandpa's Kitchen flour, my quintessential favorite gluten free flour. The texture and flavor turned out to be pretty close to normal for me. Also, my only other tip for making these is to make sure you cool them completely (difficult to do when you are dying to eat one) or else you run the risk of serving lemon mush instead of a lemon bar. My friend Mo over at Fare to Remember also has a great no-bake lemon-lime bar recipe that uses graham crackers and coconut that I've been wanting to try with Kinnikinnick's Smoreables Gluten Free Graham Crackers. I just bought about 13 lemons, so it's probably time! Seriously, trust Ina. She rules. I think I'm going to make myself a little fridge magnet that says just that: Trust Ina. I'm so clever.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers