Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Gluten Free Green Beans Amandine...So Fancy

I happen to come from a family of two. Well, not anymore. Now I have a dad and siblings whom I all love very much and consider to be my family. But growing up, I was the only child of a single parent. Which really, if you think about in a positive way, had a ton of benefits. My mom says I got good at being bossy because I would just tell her what I wanted to do, and since there was no one else to compete with, I always got my way. My own room, no one stole my clothes, all the one-on-one parent time you could ask for, and always first pick of what to have for dinner. Hmm, I'm seeing some clues to my personality here. I may have to slow down on the past realizations for a minute. I don't know if I can handle any more self-awareness. Anyway, everytime my mom made green beans, whether they were fresh, frozen, or from a can, I asked for them to be Green Beans Amandine, which is a fancy way of saying add lemon juice, butter, and almonds to the beans. And they pretty much rule.

I love vegetables, and I am a fan of frozen or fresh whenever possible. I will admit that every dinner I cook for my family we have some kind of vegetable with it. Some are fancy and some aren't that nutritious, but they are vegetables nonetheless! My favorite green beans, even my favorite over fresh ones, are the petite whole green beans you can buy a giant bag of at Costco. They are truly de-lish. Anyway, I cook them in the microwave, and when they come out I put a couple of tablespoons of butter on them, 1 tablespoon of fresh or bottled lemon juice, and a handful of slivered almonds. Voila! Instantly impressive veggie side dish. Enjoy these with your next dinner with the in-laws. It's so easy, and it's guaranteed to impress.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I love Costco's green beans too. Normally mine are just slathered in butter and drowned with pepper. I am going to have to try this out! Thanks, your Fabulousness!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers