Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gluten Free Christmas Gifts #3: The Giant Sugar Cookie

I told my children this year they get to give their friends giant sugar cookies for Christmas, and that's final. I can't tell you how many years I've blown my Christmas budget because the day before the last day of school one of my children has come home with a list of 13 people they want to give something too. I made some of these Sugar Cookies with a large circle cookie cutter, about 4" in diameter, and I had great plans to decorate them up like fat Santas with red on the circle and a white beard and belt and little mini chocolate chip eyes, but when I looked through my stash of food coloring, not one drop of red existed in my three boxes of colors. So, I punted and frosted them with homemade white frosting and Wilton's sprinkles (gluten free!) and I think they're just as darling, and will transfer over from 14 year olds to 4 year olds. I handmade a little tag and wrapped it in a clear cellophane treat bag with two colors of ribbon, and I think I'm good to go on these. The nice thing is I can get 10 large cookies from one batch, so I can whip up as many friend presents as I need in an afternoon. Depending on what kind of ribbon you use and how elaborately you decorate the cookies, the cost is about $2.50 per cookie.
Here's the recipe for homemade frosting:

Homemade Frosting
1/2 stick of soft butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 T milk

Mix together until it becomes the consistency of thick frosting. If too runny, add more sugar. If too stiff, add a tsp more milk. Color with food coloring to your desired color. Frost and eat!

Happy giving!

1 comment:

  1. Another adorable gift!!! Next year when I'm not so pregnant and sick I HAVE to make all these adorable gifts! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers