Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gluten Free Christmas Gifts #8: French Macarons

Sometimes we just simply don't have the time to handcraft a gift for someone. Every once in a while I find myself thinking of someone and when I'm out and about I'll pick up their favorite treat or something they might enjoy and when I give it to them, I find they usually don't care that I didn't make it! Not that they don't appreciate my handmade treats, but sometimes it really is the thought that counts. Now, if I were on blog-preparation mode full time, I would have attended a class or at least read a tutorial on how to make these French Macarons, but as it is, these are some of my favorite gluten free cookies to purchase and eat immediately. I'm serious. It's a sickness. Everyone who knows me knows I am a sucker for lemon-flavored treats, and this case is no exception. If you've never eaten one before, French Macarons are different from the other Coconut Macaroons, which are made from shredded coconut and condensed milk and are chewy and very dense.These cookies are made from almond flour, egg whites, and confectionary and white sugars, which makes them like a meringue, crunchy on the outside and chewy once you bite into them and then of course the filling makes them completely sinful. I could go on and on.
There is a little local bakery near me called The Sweet Tooth Fairy that has but one gluten free offering: The French Macaron. They come in all sorts of flavor combinations and you never know what they will have on the shelf from day to day. But, if you're particular like me and you can be patient for a day or two, you can special order a dozen in whatever flavor you like. If you don't live in Utah, perhaps there's a bakery near you that makes a gluten free cookie you could substitute for this one.This bakery also happens to make a really cute mini version of the macarons, about half the size of a normal one. I think the mini ones look cuter in this gift bag (of course by Martha from Michael's) and they also fit perfectly in this little gift box (ahem, I have a problem with diversification...also a Martha product from Michael's. And please ignore the fact that the cookies are stacked crookedly inside. Photo perfection, I tell ya.). I love that it comes with pre-made sticker tags that you just put right on the box. So easy. These mini cookies are $1.25 apiece, and the larger ones are $2.50 apiece, so the cost is based on how many cookies you cram into your container.
Happy giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers