Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole

I am interrupting this Christmas blog series to post about one of my new favorite recipes you can all make for the almost forgotten Thanksgiving holiday this year: Sweet Potato Casserole. I first tasted this last year at a Christmas party and I phone stalked cute Sally until she gave the recipe to me a couple of weeks ago. When she gave it to me, there was a little note on the bottom of the recipe card: "Given to me by my friend in Alabama...who went on dates in a horse drawn buggy and lived to be 102 years." Now, if that doesn't mean this is a recipe that stands the test of time, I don't know what does. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of flour in the topping mixture, but I substituted tapioca starch/flour to see how it worked. It is delicious and yummy just the same, but you could also use whatever gluten free flour mixture you love. My one disclaimer is that there is a TON of butter and sugar and a little bit of vegetable in this recipe, so don't come crying to me when you realize how many calories are in it. It's for sure one of those once a year kind of recipes.

Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups cooked yams, mashed (I used three large yams for this and it was just about enough.)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
4 T melted butter
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
2 eggs

Mix all ingredients together and spread evenly into a greased 9x13 baking dish.

Topping
1 cup brown sugar
6 T melted butter
1/2 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Mix all ingredients together and spread on top of potatoes. Bake 20-25 minutes in a 375 degree oven until golden brown and crusty on top.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers