Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Friday, December 17, 2010

Chocolate Dipped Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats: Another Christmas Treat!

Sometimes at the last minute we are stuck needing a gift for someone special who, by no fault of their own, we have overlooked in our list-making and gift-buying and general busy-ness. I can't say this has ever happened to me, ahem, but I think this is a great idea for a last-minute treat to take to someone special whom you may not have time to buy a present for. You really can't go wrong: rice krispie treat, chocolate, cute wrappings, it's a home run. I like this idea so much, in fact, that I made up a batch of them to take to some of our Primary children last weekend.They turned out so cute. I made most of them with regular rice krispies, but I also made a batch with some gluten free rice krispies, just to test them you know. My disclaimer here is that everything I know about chocolate I've learned from my neighbor Mary Pugmire. A couple of years ago my daughter had a chocolate birthday party and Mary came and taught the girls how to make chocolate suckers in molds and we had a chocolate fountain and everyone left the party several pounds heavier. But during the party I asked her a ton of questions and here's what I learned.

1. Chocolate will "seize" or turn cakey if you heat it without stirring too much. The best way to remedy this is to first use a chocolate made for melting. The melting discs or bark coating are a good way to go. Most of them are gluten free, but check the label first.

2. Melt the chocolate in a large bowl in the microwave, first for 45 seconds, then stir, 30 more seconds, stir, 30 more seconds, and it may be ready or need one more go round. Then you can begin to dip.

I used sucker sticks and dipped them into the chocolate and then stuck them into the double-batch of already-cooled krispie treats and let that part cool, just like with the Chocolate Dipped Oreo Suckers we did a couple of weeks ago.

I then dipped the treats into the chocolate and used a spoon to spread it where I wanted it. Then I scraped off the excess , sprinkled it with sprinkles, and placed it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. (Don't worry, it was a huge mess so I thought I'd spare you a photo.) Mary taught me that placing chocolate outside on a cold day is a great way to get it to firm up fast. Just make sure there's no loose dogs out to eat your treats.That's it! I wrapped each one in a cellophane treat bag, added a cute tag from TomKat Studios and some ribbon and I was done. Super cute and not too much effort. Just the way I like it!

Happy eating!

1 comment:

 
Blog Design by April Showers