Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gluten Free Lemon Wafer Bars


I have no idea what to really call these, but once you read through the recipe, you'll get why I called them that. My friend Shannon cooks for her gluten free husband all the time and makes a chocolate version of these that I'll tell you about in a minute. She told me the super easy recipe and of course the wheels started turning in my head of how I could make these into a lemon confection worthy of Super Bowl partying. Because my world revolves around lemon. Here's how I did it:

Gluten Free Lemon Wafer Bars

1 stick of butter
1 package Glutino Lemon Wafer cookies
2 cups coconut
2 cups white chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
zest and juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter in a microwaveable bowl and cook until melted, about 1 minute. Place wafer cookies in a large ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin. Pour butter into the bottom of a 9x13 pan, cover with cookie crumbs and spread evenly. Add coconut over top, then white chocolate chips. Drizzle condensed milk over the top. Grate zest directly onto the top of the milk, trying to cover most of the cookies. Drizzle lemon juice over the top of the milk. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.

I died a slow lemon death when I tasted these. Chewy, tangy and creamy all in one bite. Want to make these in the chocolate version? Use Glutino Chocolate wafers covered in chocolate and semisweet or milk chocolate chips and omit the lemon zest and juice. It's like a chocolate bomb went off in your mouth. Try these for your Super Bowl snacking. They're the perfect gluten free bite sized sweet treat!

Happy eating! Go Steelers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers