Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Monday, March 21, 2011

Gluten Free Biscuits Supreme

Every once in a while I really get a hankering for biscuits. My mom used to make them for Sunday dinner and they always made me feel like all was right in the world. We'd slather our homemade raspberry jam on them and time would just stop. When I want to make gluten free biscuits I usually use a mix from 123 Gluten Free, but I was out, so I decided to attempt to make some from scratch. I turned, of course, to the Bible of cooking,
the Better Homes and Gardens Red and White Cookbook. I adapted one of their recipes that used, of all things, cream of tartar in the dough. I figured I'd give it a try because I've failed much worse in the kitchen, believe me.

I used my food processor to mix the dry ingredients together, cut in the cold butter, and add the milk. I pulsed it until it came to a ball, then kneaded and rolled it out just like regular biscuits. When they were finished baking I was amazed at how HIGH they got! Look at those layers! That cream of tartar must be a secret ingredient because I've never made any gluten free biscuits that look like this. I adapted the recipe to use more liquid, since gluten free flours have a slower rate of absorption and tend to get dry if they don't have extra liquid. Here's the super easy and fast recipe:

Gluten Free Biscuits Supreme
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

2 cups Grandpa's Kitchen gluten free flour
1 T baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup milk
extra gf flour for rolling out dough

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In the bowl of a food processor, add flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Pulse a few times to mix. Add butter and pulse until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add milk all at once. If mixture looks too crumbly and dry, add 1-2 more tablespoons of milk until it comes together into a ball. Remove dough from food processor and knead together a few times on a floured surface to make a ball. Roll out dough with a floured rolling pin to 1/2 ". Cut with a 2 1/2" biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Makes about 10 biscuits.

I served these with a new crock pot recipe I tried that was pure comfort food. I'll post on that one Wednesday. Of course I froze my leftovers individually in Ziploc sandwich bags to heat up later.

Happy eating!

2 comments:

 
Blog Design by April Showers