Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gluten Free Cheater's Ice Cream Sandwiches

Sometimes packing boxes and boxes of dusty crap makes you really want to take a break to refresh yourself. And sometimes you just miss a plain old ice cream sandwich in the summertime. I figured out a really delicious, cheating, non-cooking way to make gluten free ice cream sandwiches. I found these cookies from Kinnikinnick at Whole Foods the other day and thought they would be tasty on their own, but I think I like them better this way after all.

First, take the good old standby gluten free ice cream, Breyer's Natural Vanilla (for the record, it was my favorite ice cream before I was diagnosed as well) and let it sit out of the freezer for about 5 minutes, just until it gets soft. If you use hard ice cream for these the cookies will break. Use a small scoop to put a small scoop of ice cream on the bottom of a Montana cookie. Place the bottom of another cookie on top and gently smoosh. Place on a freezer safe plate or tray and return them to the freezer for about 20 minutes or until they are frozen well. Eat and enjoy! I think these would be such an easy dessert for a summer barbecue, and you can make up a whole bunch and freeze them ahead of time. I'm pretty sure there's other cookies that would work with this idea, like the Mi-Del Gluten Free Ginger Snaps with Breyer's Butter Pecan ice cream, Pamela's Lemon Shortbread cookies with Lemon sorbet or even a pineapple sherbet, and more that I haven't even thought of yet. It's going to be a great summer!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers